Veterans’ Tax Credit

Lyme veterans or their spouse/civil union partner or their surviving spouse/civil union partner may apply for the optional veterans’ tax credit of $500. If the veteran has a service connected total and permanent disability the amount of this credit is $2,000. (State laws RSA 72:28 and RSA 72:35) This credit will be subtracted each year from the property tax on his or her residential property.

The following persons qualify for the veterans’ tax credit:

  1. Every resident of Lyme who served not less than 90 days in the armed forces of the United States in any qualifying war or armed conflict listed in this section and was honorably discharged or an officer honorably separated from service; or the spouse or surviving spouse of such resident;
  2. Every resident of this state who was terminated from the armed forces because of service-connected disability; or the surviving spouse of such resident; and
  3. The surviving spouse of any resident who suffered a service-connected death.

Service in a qualifying war or armed conflict shall be as follows:

  1. “World War I” between April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918, extended to April 1, 1920 for service in Russia; provided that military or naval service on or after November 12, 1918 and before July 2, 1921, where there was prior service between April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918 shall be considered as World War I service;
  2. “World War II” between December 7, 1941 and December 31, 1946;
  3. “Korean Conflict' between June 25, 1950 and January 31, 1955;
  4. “Vietnam Conflict” between December 22, 1961 and May 7, 1975;
  5. “Vietnam Conflict” between July 1, 1958 and December 22, 1961, if the resident earned the Vietnam service medal or the armed forces expeditionary medal;
  6. "Persian Gulf War" between August 2, 1990 and the date thereafter prescribed by Presidential proclamation or by law; and
  7. Any other war or armed conflict that has occurred since May 8, 1975, and in which the resident earned an armed forces expeditionary medal or theater of operations service medal.

To receive the veteren’s tax credit you must:

  1. Have been a New Hampshire resident for 1 year preceeding April 1st of the tax year,
  2. Own the property on April 1st in the tax year for which you are applying, and
  3. The property for which an exemption is claimed must be your principal place of abode and which you in good faith regard as home to the exclusion of any other places where you may temporarily live.

The Board of Selectmen will require a copy of your DD214 to verify your service. Those who served before DD214s were issued (WWII), may submit alternative documentation to verify their service. You must apply for this exemption by March 1st following the date your tax bill was mailed (State law RSA 72:33). Contact the Selectmen’s Office for additional information or assistance.

Click here: Information for obtaining Military Service documentations